[ltp] Screen Flicker = VANQUISHED, sound = well i'm still fighting...

Brad Langhorst linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sun, 24 Oct 1999 11:55:55 -0400

Matthias Laessig wrote:

> On Sun, 24 Oct 1999, Brad Langhorst wrote:
>
> > On the sound front.
> > I have tried building the sould opts into the kernel - no help with the initial click.
> > Running X at 32bpp makes the mp3 playback problem much worse.  When i drag a window
> > around sound is badly distorted.  I can't figure this out.  It does not have to do with
> > CPU load.
>
> What tool are you using for playing mp3? Use xmms and set it a+s. It uses
> RealTime-Code then, makes it running very smooth here... no distortions at
> all...

Thanks for your response
I am using xmms - i will try to set it to run in realtime mode
but i wonder what your sound configuration is.
Martin Fluch mentioned that he has included the ad1848 card did you?
why?

Is it correct to say that you hear no distortion when you drag windows around in X?
I hear a bad slowdown of sound, but it can't be due to CPU load because
I can jack the machine up to a load average of 2 and still get good sound as long
as I don't move windows around.  Could the display be using the same interupt as the sound
card
or something?  Something fishy going on here.
thanks

brad