[ltp] vmware 1.1, tp 770ED

Jamie Zawinski linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 28 Oct 1999 12:02:03 -0700

Anyone gotten it working?

I installed it from RPM, and it almost works, but not well enough...

I'm trying to get vmware to run Win95 off of my existing windows
partition.  I set up a separate hardware profile as per the
instructions.  There are a couple of problems: first, it takes a
full ten minutes to boot Windows -- the BIOS banner shows up right
away, then the window goes black for 5 full minutes, with just an
underline cursor in the upper left.  Then finally I get my Lilo
prompt, and can launch windows -- which takes another 5 minutes.

After it's up, it seems reasonably fast, so it's just something
goofy going on at startup.

Once Windows is running, I can't figure out how to get it to talk
to my serial port or network.

Also, since I installed vmware, I've been getting an endless stream
of these messages:

     Oct 28 10:33:04 grendel sendmail[29990]:
     gethostbyaddr(192.168.110.1) failed: 1

I assume that's the "unused" subnet that vmware is trying to use to
let Windows talk to the network; but why is sendmail touching it at all,
and how do I make it stop?

This is on RH 5.2 (2.0.36.)

--
Jamie Zawinski             jwz@jwz.org             http://www.jwz.org/