[ltp] Installing Linux on a 770Z

James Hawtin linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 1 Sep 1999 12:44:27 +0100 (BST)

On partitioning your hard disk, my 20 Gig is layed out as follow
so this is pushing the limits

And very hard (swearing removed) to install! as the kernel with solaris ufs
support sees different hda layout than the install (This is why hda idea).

---------  1 meg

Windows 98 hda1

---------  2096 meg

linux /    hda2  (256 meg)

---------  2352 meg

Solaris 2.6 X86 *

hda 3    (Seen as /                  128 meg    hda5   (solaris s0)
                  swap       (s1)               hda6
                  whole disk (s2)               hda7 (Actually whole partition
                                                      not disk)
                  /var       (s3)    196 meg    hda8
                  /usr       (s6)    1024 meg   hda9
                  /oolon2    (s7)  (The rest)   hda10   (space hog)

----------  12320 meg extended partition hda4

----------------  12320 meg
linux swap   hda11   128 meg
----------------  12448 meg
/var         hda12   196 meg
----------------  12644 meg
/tmp         hda13   128 meg
----------------  12772 meg
/usr         hda14  1500 meg
----------------  14272 meg
/lap1        hda15        (space hog)
----------------   20480

-------------- 20480

* Actually Solaris 2 install was allugic to this disk too! its fdisk would not
see more than the first 1023 cyclinders.

So I installed Solaris 2 to an 8 gig disk first, then forced the disk
geometry into the solaris 2 (nice feature that) fdisk.

fdisked, formated, newfsed, used ufsdump/ufsrestore to copy file systems.
chrooted into new disk, rebuilt the devices corrected the vfstab
and installed the boot block

and a few other things.

--------

The linux install was done with redhat 6 out of the CD.
I used fdisk to set the partitions up, and disk druid to assign,
being careful cos the solaris 2 partion has the same id as linux swap
(oops)

Points to note

there are 3 active boot areas on the disk and the whole of all of them
are < 1024 cylinders.

winblows   solaris /   (and boot)    and     linux /

by having a minimal / on linux then  pushing the rest. It is possible
to use all the space.

I can use such a small / for linux because I have my own hand built
system I stick over the top, which is layed out like solaris 2
no /bin /lib (symlinks)  I don't advice this! (have to have a static /sbin)

Hope this helps.

And yes they do all work perfectly!

----------

PS booting into the rescue disk to mount up your linux, or solaris for that
matter is a useful trick. It allows you to correct mistakes in the [v]fstab,
and other things.

Don't forget the chroot command in unix!

mount everything on /a then chroot /a /sbin/sh
cd /
cd /
ls

now everything looks like the real thing not your rescue disk.

James