[ltp] Installing Linux on a 770Z

Wed, 1 Sep 1999 08:35:37 -0400

Hi gang,

     I used PowerQuest Partition Magic on my hard drive to create the Ext2
partitions for my Linux system. The partition you will be using as the root
partition must be COMPLETELY within the cylinder 1024 boundary; Partition Magic
will tell you this. Also, you shouldn't exceed 2GB for the / partition. I have
my drive layed out as follows:

     Partition 1    2GB FAT32 Win98 primary
     Partition 2    2GB Ext2  Linux primary
     Partition 3    150MB          Linux Swap (this could go anywhere...)
     Partition 4    1GB Ext2  Linux Logical (mounted as /home)
     Partition 5    7GB FAT32 Logical shared data drive

     This setup works great, and I can mount any of the 98 partitions to get to
data on them. When you use DiskDruid, just tell it which mount point goes with
which partition, don't mess with them once they're set up. When it's time to
format them, check the box for bad sector check to do a more thorough format.
I've re-installed Linux 32 times on my Z now. It has worked every time.

     Video for X will be another story.........

Good Luck!

Mark T. Shoger, MCP
Network Administrator, Washington Metro Area
IBM Corp.