[ltp] Fn-F8 key combination on Thinkpads

Thomas Wimmer linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Fri, 03 Sep 1999 00:00:53 +0200

"Ashish V. Thapliyal" wrote:

> Perhaps this is well known, in which case sorry to bother you.
>
> I just discovered that on pressing the key combination Fn-F8
> on one of the text consoles makes the text mode use the full
> screen. I wonder if this is a well known Thinkpad feature.

Yes, it is.
Take a look in the users-manuals (or the windows-config-utility, it
is mentioned there somewhere - but we donīt use windows, do we ;-))
?)

> When I try this key sequence with X running strange things happen
> like the screen shows only one quarter of the full desktop.

Yes, I learned that too, donīt play with anything that affects the
scrren when unter X, like Fn-F8, Fn-F7 or plugging in a monitor.

> I have a TP 770E (9548) running RHAT 6.0, Kernel 2.2.10, pcmcia
> 3.0.14. However this key sequence works on a co-worker's TP 600
> too.
>
> Thanks,
> Ashish.

Thomas
--
Thomas Wimmer        |   When you're in a fight with an idiot,
thomas@wimmer.net    |   its difficult for other people