[ltp] Fn-F8 key combination on Thinkpads

Martin Fluch linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sun, 5 Sep 1999 08:59:40 +0300 (EEST)

On Thu, 2 Sep 1999, Ashish V. Thapliyal wrote:

> I just discovered that on pressing the key combination Fn-F8
> on one of the text consoles makes the text mode use the full
> screen. I wonder if this is a well known Thinkpad feature.
> When I try this key sequence with X running strange things happen
> like the screen shows only one quarter of the full desktop.

The BIOS seems to try to alter some video card settings, confusing X
thereby. I have a full screen text console (with the help of the
fb-device) and so (I gues) the BIOS doesn't have to disturb X ... but you
also don't need the Fn-F8 combination.

If you use the standard 80x25 console, switching to the text console bevor
pressing Fn-F8 doesn't disturbe X either.

Martin

--
For public PGP-key:  finger mfluch@mathphys.fsk.uni-heidelberg.de