[ltp] Fn-F8 key combination on Thinkpads

Dick Schroeder linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sun, 5 Sep 1999 09:44:39 -0500

On Thu, 2 Sep 1999, Ashish V. Thapliyal wrote:

> I just discovered that on pressing the key combination Fn-F8
> on one of the text consoles makes the text mode use the full
> screen. I wonder if this is a well known Thinkpad feature.
> When I try this key sequence with X running strange things happen
> like the screen shows only one quarter of the full desktop.

The BIOS seems to try to alter some video card settings, confusing X
thereby. I have a full screen text console (with the help of the
fb-device) and so (I gues) the BIOS doesn't have to disturb X ... but you
also don't need the Fn-F8 combination.

If you use the standard 80x25 console, switching to the text console bevor
pressing Fn-F8 doesn't disturbe X either.

Martin

That's pretty interesting. When you press the Fn-F8 when Windoze is booting
(still hasn't seen the video driver associated
with the desktop) it has the same behavior, that is it jumps to full
screen. After booting is complete and the 1024X768
driver is loaded pressing the key combination only results in a screen
repaint, but at the correct resolution.

It seems like this feature must be missing from the X-windows
implementation? Correctly implmented it should have
approximately the same behaviour?

Dick