[ltp] 2.2.10 or 2.2.12 with token ring

Ashish V. Thapliyal linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 20 Sep 1999 09:51:51 -0400

Hi,
    I  managed to get token ring and modem (PCMCIA card)
working with RH 6.0 on 770E, 770Z, 600E, thanks to various suggestions
on this mailing list.
During this process I found that the 2.2.10 kernel
was easier to get working with the token ring/modem. I wonder
if any of you have had similar experiences.

Here are the details:
I am using pcmcia 3.0.14 for all the three laptops.
First I installed the 2.2.10 kernel and pcmcia 3.0.14 on the 770E and
that was a piece  of cake. Next I installed the 2.2.12 on the 770Z and
that was such a  hassle, especially to get the correct resource windows. The
modem on it still does not work.
Then I installed the 2.2.12 on the 600E and I could not get token ring working,
being unable to find good resource windows for it. So I installed the 2.2.10
kernel on it and then it was a piece of cake to get the token ring working and
so with the modem.

It is probable that all this problem
may be because the free resource windows in the new kernel may be different.
Since I don't know anything about the linux kernel, I don't know if this
is correct. Also, I  allowed some modules with the 2.2.12 and I didn't
allow any modules with the 2.2.10 kernel. This may have made a difference too.
Maybe if modules are to be loaded, the free resource windows are different. Very
likely both these theories are wrong but I can't think of
anything else I did different for the installations. All this said
I am a linux novice so I may be completely off the track :)

Thanks,
Ashish.

--
Ashish V. Thapliyal               email:ash@physics.ucsb.edu
Physics Department, University of California at Santa Barbara,

Temporary Address:                 voice: 914-945-2829
IBM T. J. Watson Research Center     fax: 914-945-4506
P. O. Box 218
Yorktown Heights, NY 10598 USA    e-mail: ashish@watson.ibm.com