[ltp] 770 EOL????

Tom Rockwell linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Fri, 24 Sep 1999 10:32:12 -0400

"Grubbs, Dan" wrote:

IBM advertises the 600 as being a compromise of power and portability
(or some such).  There is definitely a market for notebooks that don't
compromise anything (well within reason of course) for portability.  15"
screens, big disks, lots of memory. Also, Intel has said that they will
push to have the portable versions of their CPUs have nearly equal
performance to the regular versions.  The desktop replacement market can
only continue to grow as notebooks become more capable.

I saw something on TV the other day about a young software company.
They have a few hundred developers, and it looked like they all used big
IBM notebooks.  Their offices didn't have cubicles, instead people
working together would just grab a table in a big room and plunk down
their notebooks.  (While watching this I was doing the math of 300people
X $3500 per notebook = big order for IBM!).

It seems to me that the demise of the 770 just means something better is
near to market.

-Tom