[ltp] IBM DJSA-230 (30GB) in TP600E

Jay Lyerly linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 14 Aug 2000 17:59:35 -0400

Older kernels may need help recognizing large disks but they should work
if you specify CHS at the lilo prompt.  This is a limitation of the bios
not reporting the disk size correctly.  You could even use large disks
on a machine whose bios didn't support more than 540 meg drives.  If
2.2.14 fixed your problem, its likely that the bios detection was
improved.  However, larger disks have been supported for a long time at
the OS level.  (Lilo has some problems.)

One cavaet... there is a problem with very large disks that are becoming
common now.  The cut of is somewhere in the 35 gig range.  There is a
large disk patch that we should see become more mainstream as this
drives become commonplace.

jay