[ltp] Trident 9397-DVD programming docs (770X)

James Hawtin linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 21 Aug 2000 17:55:28 +0000 (GMT)

On 21 Aug 2000, Matthew Emmett wrote:

> James Hawtin <oolon@ankh.org> writes:
>
> > I think a thinkpad with hardware which has open specs would be a
> > seeing point. But may be thats just me. Dumb win modems etc etc. it
> > worth have slight higher price, power consuption for hardware that
> > works! With your OS of choice. So while lucent may finally do a
> > modem driver for linux..  wheer is the BSD support etc.
>
> Yes, I agree.  WinModems help Micro$oft achieve a monopoly -- which is
> logically bad.  Hardware vendors (IMO), shouldn't support this.  I
> hope that IBM will avoid WinModems in the future.

If IBM are truly "open source" Why do you not do this? All we ask is
all the hardware machines use is documented, I got more documentation on
my BBC micro than I did with my thinkpad, and the documentation was
useful, not just another bad introduction to windows.. Why do people
include that rather than just save the paper? Hell the hardware
is covered with parents! so who can copy it anyway! IBM wants geek points,
this would get more than anything else.

James