[ltp] Monitor port on TP600

Crispin Cowan linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 05 Dec 2000 00:46:46 -0800

Ian.Oliver@nokia.com wrote:

> Anyway, I can get output from the monitor port on the back, however I need
> to boot
> the laptop connected (I think) and it works, except that the screen is
> shifted about 100
> pixels to the right. Using xvidtune to correct this leads to the signal
> being dropped
> from the monitor port (at least the projector doesn't get anything) and the
> LCD screen
> "going mad". Reboot is then necessary using the power switch...

I have a TP 770, and experienced similar problems.  I have no idea whether I
have the same video chip set you do, so I don't know whether this will help
you or not.

What I found is that X locks up if you try and switch video modes (inside,
outside, both) while X is on the display.  However, you can safely switch
modes by going to a text mode console (e.g. ALT-CTRL-F2), switching modes, and
then switching back to the X console (ALT-CTRL-F7).

Crispin

--
Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.
Chief Research Scientist, WireX Communications, Inc. http://wirex.com