[ltp] It works! But I have questions

Rob Mayoff linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
9 Dec 2000 01:43:42 -0600

| 1.  Sound, can it be made to work?

Yes.  Here are the /etc/conf.modules lines I use on my 770Z:

    alias sound cs4232
    pre-install sound insmod sound dmabuf=1
    alias midi opl3
    options opl3 io=0x388
    options cs4232 io=0x530 irq=5 dma=1 dma2=0 mpuio=0x330 mpuirq=9

| 2. Modem, shall I just install a PCCard?

Yes, get a PC Card modem. There is no publicly available ACP (MWave)
modem driver.

| 3. Video - anybody know what the fastest/best video driver is?  It seems a
| little slow.

I compiled my kernel with frame buffer device support. This prevents the
funny screen lockup problem seen when the lid is closed and reopened.
I set vga=775 in /etc/lilo.conf, which gives me a 160x64 text console.
(You must compile the kernel with fbdev support to use vga=775.)  I use
Bill Mair's modified X server to get acceleration under X.

See <http://www.bm-soft.com/~bm/tp770x.html>.  The 770X and 770Z have
essentially the same video hardware.

| 4. Video - while I have your attention - this has always bugged me.  What
| is the fastest refresh rate the video can support on an external monitor
| at 1280x1024?

Can't help you.

| 5. Disk - is it safe to run the IDE disks with DMA on?  (hdparm -d1
| /dev/hda)

I have been running with this setting for over a year.