[ltp] Re: New A20p questions - sound and external monitor

Alan Shutko linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
26 Dec 2000 23:33:04 -0500

jrogers@mjrogers.com writes:

> 1.  Sound - did what the web page, and the linked post said, but no
> sound.  Something about unable to load card during boot.  Any ideas?

Post a few more details, like specific kernel version, version of ALSA
(if used), and the output of the error message (run dmesg to get it).

And make absolutely sure you've turned off PCI Power Management.
Although... I think this might not be necessary for recent versions of
the kernel driver or alsa driver.  At least, I think I currently have
it off, but I'm listening to an MP3.

In any case, that's the starting place.  Make sure you have it off
(check the BIOS, not the Windows tool to make sure) and reboot a few
times to try.  Make sure you try it _before_ suspending.  When I first
tried it, I had a few unexplained problems which went away.

> 2.  External monitors - I have a Viewsonic PT813 monitor, how do I get X
> working with an external display?

I'm not sure that's possible with XF86 yet... it wasn't for the
longest time under 4.0.1, and I haven't tried it under 4.0.2 yet.  I
know the Xig driver will do this (and let you dual-head over LCD and
external monitor).

Do not underestimate the power of the Force.