[ltp] ibm760-setres and CD-ROM

Jorge Quintanilla linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 22 Feb 2000 11:00:25 +0000 (GMT)

This is my first posting to this list. Hi everybody!

I just bought a 3-month-warranty refurbished IBM TP760ED (16Mb RAM, 2.1Gb
HD, 12.1" TFT, Internal CD-ROM, external floppy) at Morgan Computers
(http://www.morgancomputers.co.uk; they still may have a few, if any of
you is interested) and I have installed Linux LST 2.2 on it. I chose this
distribution because (i) I had a copy on CD-ROM (from when I first
installed Linux on a desktop) and (ii) I knew it had worked for Harald
Milz (http://www.muc.de/~hm/linux/thinkpad.html). For setting up X, I
followed the instructions given by Joe Hind(?) for XFree86 3.2
(http://www.mindspring.com/~jhind/tplinux/). This includes executing the
program ibm760-setres by Terry Boult
(http://www.eecs.lehigh.edu/~tboult/linux/thinkpad760ed.html), before
startx. It works as described (if you execute ibm760-setres as root;
otherwise, there is a segmentation fault) but I have noticed that the
CD-ROM stops working properly (it slows down an generates error messages
in the console) after ibm760-setres has been started. On the other hand,
after rebooting, and before executing ibm760-setres, the CD-ROM works
fine. I wonder if any of you has experienced the same before, and if you
know a workaround. Of course, the other option is to upgrade to a
distribution with Xfree86 3.x, for which ibm760-setres seems not to be
necessary. I have thought of moving on to Caldera OpenLinux 2.2 (which is
the successor of LST). Does any of you have any relevant experiences to
report?

Whow, that was a long message. Sorry, and thanks for your attention.

Jorge

Jorge Quintanilla (J.Quintanilla@bristol.ac.uk)
H. H. Wills Physics Laboratory, University of Bristol
Tyndall Avenue, Bristol BS8 1TL, U.K.
tel: +44 (0)117 928 8758 fax: +44 (0)117 925 5624
web: http://rogers.phy.bris.ac.uk/home/phjq