[ltp] 600X Lucent modem... interesting

Manoj Kasichainula linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sat, 29 Jan 2000 16:48:22 -0600

On Sat, Jan 29, 2000 at 01:34:52PM +0000, Eric Bentley wrote:
> If you are refering to the Lucent binary driver 5.68, please specify the
>  problems so I can fix them.

I've just finished a mini-writeup of the problem, so now I can report
it. (It's also on my 600X page).

I have had problems when trying to use the driver in answer mode.  I
used mgetty on the modem port. Mgetty was able to answer the call just
fine. but when it execed login, and login tried to reopen the port,
the open(/dev/ttyS14,...) would hang until it got SIGALRMed.

On the dialing side, after entering in your username at the
<code>login:</code> prompt, the other side hangs up.

In addition, after playing with trying to get this to work for a
while, the machine crashed (and my X palette got scrambled too).

I can provide straces of the mgetty/login process with both the Lucent
modem and my PCMCIA modem on request.