[ltp] Fix: Netscape crashes/problems with Address Book

Markus Alt linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 26 Jul 2000 08:14:52 +0200

Bill Mair wrote:

> Quick Tip:
> I was having problems with netscape not handling the address book
> entries correctly. It either hang or crashed.
>
> After searching the usenet postings there was an entry regarding entries
> in two files in .netscape( liprefs.js and preferences.js ).
>
> The offending entries contain something like: "
> user_pref("ldap_2.servers.pab.locale", "en_US"); "
>
> Fixing the problem is simple:
>   1) Stop ALL netscape programs
>   2) Edit the two files and simply remove the entries.
>   3) Restart netscape and enjoy using the address book again.

Hi Bill,

thanks a lot for the tip! I just returned from vacation and found this
really useful hint while scanning tons of mail ...

Netscape also used to crash on my machine with the aforementioned
symptoms. In addition to that, when composing a new mail and typing the
recipient's address, it always got auto-expanded with *my* domain (i.e.
no lookup in the address book as expected). Both problems are gone now
after I've deleted the bad lines from the two files that you described
above.

Definitely no WOB ...! :-)

Thanks again & regards,
Markus