[ltp] "600X Serial Port not found" problem resolved!

ye, wei linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 26 Jul 2000 10:16:45 -0400

Thanks suggestion from friends in this list!!

I finally resolved the Serial Port problem on my 600X laptop.

On my laption, Serial port is disabled by default.
'tpctl'  couldn't "enable" serial port on my box from kernel 2.2.12-2.2.16.

Everytime I tried to enable serial port with tpctl, after reset the box,
serial port
state comes back to 'disable' again.

Thinkpad configuration tool under Windows can *ONLY* change configuration
under Windows.
The change doesn't work under Linux.

Some friends suggest me to use PS2.EXE, so I downloaded it from IBM
website(search keywork 'PS2.EXE').
PS2.EXE is a program in a utility package. The package is not document
well, I just went ahead to
download it, unpack them into a floppy,  run
A> PS ? SERA
to show serial status, it's "DISABLED"
Then I ran:
A> PS SERA Enable

After I reset the box, the serial port works very well under linux.

Beware that when you run 'PS2.EXE' under DOS, it keeps making my speaker
have alot of
noise, maybe it's warning that making some configuration change is
dangerous.

Then, I went ahead to run "rp3" utility to connect to internet. rp3 is from
Redhat.
1. run "rp3-config" to configure account/dial number etc.
2. run "rp3" to connect to internet

Beware that if your "rp3" is 1.0 version, you can only connect at 9600
speed, you need
download the latest version 1.0.7 from redhat website. Then you can connect
at 56K speed.

"rp3" is very cool that it will pop up a window to show the packet in/out
traffic, and can automatically
re-dial if connection lost.

ppp works excellectly on my laptop!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bye M$!

"ye, wei" wrote:

> Hi -
>
> I have a problem about COM2, when I tried to connect ISP with my
> external modem.
> I have a 600X laptop, and an USR external 56K modem. It runs very well
> under Windows,
> and the serial port is detected as COM2.
>
> However when I enter Linux(Redhat6.1), I couldn't find COM2(/dev/ttyS1):
>
> [yw@yw driver]$ cat /proc/tty/driver/serial
> serinfo:1.0 driver:4.27
> 0: uart:16550A port:3F8 irq:4 baud:9600 tx:3 rx:0
> 1: uart:unknown port:2F8 irq:3
> 2: uart:unknown port:3E8 irq:4
> 3: uart:unknown port:2E8 irq:3
> 4: uart:unknown port:1A0 irq:9
> [yw@yw driver]$
>
> I tried a few different kernels, from 2.2.12 to 2.2.14, all of them have
> PPP built with and PNP enabled.
> During the boot session, PPP enable information is printed out.
> I tried to dial out with minicom, it doesn't work at all no matter what
> I try /dev/ttyS0 - /dev/ttyS3,
> /dev/modem, or /dev/cua*.
>
> Contrast to the laptop, I have another desktop computer, the COM2 is
> ready very well.
>
> Is there anyone know a way to fix this problem?
>
> Thanks for advance!
>
> --
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Wei Ye