[ltp] Installing Redhat onto 360M hard drive

Bill Mair linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Fri, 28 Jul 2000 16:53:26 +0200

Tom Law wrote:

>     I've inherited an old Thinkpad 701CS with a
> 670M hard drive and 24M RAM.

Lucky devil, my one only has a 520M drive.

> I've got to keep > Windows95 on it, so I've devoted
> 250M to that.

What a waste of 250M HD space. ;-)

>     There's no CD drive, but I do have a
> Roadrunner external parallel CD drive.  However, I
> haven't seen any Linux drivers for it.
>     I do have an Etherlink 589 NIC in the
> Thinkpad, and I do have another Linux machine
> nearby I could connect it to.

I installed RH via NFS. I mounted and shared the CD-ROM and used the nfs
install option. As far as I can remember another diskette is required
which has the PCMCIA support on it.

If you already have a Linux system available then do it this way, you'll
save yourself a whole lot of headaches.

Bill.