[ltp] Installing Redhat onto 360M hard drive

Tom Law linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Fri, 28 Jul 2000 10:47:05 -0400

    I've inherited an old Thinkpad 701CS with a
670M hard drive and 24M RAM.  I've got to keep
Windows95 on it, so I've devoted 250M to that.  So
I have about 420M left for Linux.  Now I'm trying
to figure out how to install Redhat 6.0 on it.  (I
figure 48M for a swap partition, 16M for a boot
partition, and the remaining 360M for the root
partition.)
    There's no CD drive, but I do have a
Roadrunner external parallel CD drive.  However, I
haven't seen any Linux drivers for it.
    I do have an Etherlink 589 NIC in the
Thinkpad, and I do have another Linux machine
nearby I could connect it to.

    Since Redhat will install from the harddrive,
I copied the everything but the RPMS from the CD
to the Windows partition (I have about 100M free
there).  I figured I could then copy over a
minimal set of RPMS, install from that, and then
copy other RPMS over ethernet.
    So I tried that (copied just the RPMS that I
guessed would be essential), and started
installing.  I got "comp errors" about missing
packages, which I said "OK" to (for about 3000
lines worth!), and then had an "mount failed"
message after all that.
    My 3 questions:

1.  Is there a list somewhere of the essential
RPMS needed for a minimal install?

2.  How do I tell the install floppy disk to try
to install JUST those packages?

3.  Could something else be causing that "mount
failed" error?