[ltp] LILO problems

Sun, 12 Mar 2000 14:52:23 +0100

Hi all,

Ok, I did this to myself, but I thought it should be possible...

I movede my linux partition using PQMagic4.  First I should explain my
setup:  I have one hard-drive with the following partitions:

  1:  Primary, Winblows95
  2:  Extended, containing:
      3: Linux root/boot/whatever
      4: Linux swap
  5: Boot Manager

What I did was to shrink partition one, move the start of partittion two
(the extended) backwards to fill the gap, move partition 3 (Linux root) to
the start of the extended and finally resize the linux partition.

I know the LILO references sectors on the disk directly, but I had expected
it to reference sectors relative to the start of partition 3 and thus not
be affected, but alas.

All I get is the "LI".  The bootdisk HOWTO says that this can either be
caused by a geometry mismatch, or by moving /boot/boot.b without running
the map installer.  This is all very well, but my question is really:  How
do I fix the problem?

The installation is a plain RedHat 6.1 with everything installed.  Smart as
I am, I didn't create a rescue disk, but isn't there a way to reload the
LILO with the default settings, or something like that?

Thanks in advance,
Nicolai Dufva