[ltp] Re: Sound on an i1460 & other i1460 questions

Fri, 17 Mar 2000 22:30:33 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 17 Mar 2000, Derek Moeller wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 17, 2000 at 02:49:42PM -0500, George Staikos wrote:
> >
> >     General note: has anyone else had problems with their i1460 spontaneously
> > rebooting, or in general just locking up often?  I just sent mine in for
> > repairs today.  It's really messed up.  Just touching it (anywhere -
> > keyboard, screen (side or top), base, or even a serial cable that's plugged
> > in) makes it either freeze or reboot.  I assume it's a static problem but I'm
> > not a Thinkpad Engineer. :)
> >

> So far, the Thinkpad has not incurred any of the problems you describe.
> However, I've had it wake up spontaneously from sleep before, though never
> under observable conditions -- that could be some button being pushed by
> some random bit of matter flying around.

	I've never had it reboot randomly either. And whenever I've put it to
sleep, it hasn't spontaneously woken up for me yet. But that isn't frequently
since I haven't gotten the i1460 to sleep automatically. I would bother with
acpi but 2.3.51 has other problems that I don't feel like dealing with (try
yanking a xircom creditcard 10/100 out without telling linux and reinserting
it... I get a non-working eth0 and eth1 :) .. doesn't happen under 2.2.14).

	Out of curiousity, anyone have a way of disabling CRTL-ALT-F4 = Sleep..
I hate it when I switch out of X into console 4 and suddenly end up asleep.

> Additionally, there has been the speaker buzz problem, which sounds like
> the speaker capacitor problem you describe. Under Windows, it made it
> horrible; it was loud enough to make it annoying to work on. Under Linux,
> it seems to be there, though with much less magnitude. Cursor movement
> seems to provoke the beast.

	Any sort of CPU/IO activity brings the buzz to audible levels... I can
actually gauge how much work is being done by the amount of buzz :)

> Finally, does the 4.0 series XF86Servers work correctly, or is the Mach
> binary and patch the only known working accelerated servers?

	Has anyone else had any problems with that patch server? Its locks up
occasionally for me. I've switched back to the standard XF86_Mach64 from 3.3.6,
and it seems rock solid (been up for 3 days...). From the docs, it doesn't
appear that 4.0 has accelerated support.

	Otherwise, everything runs happily on my 128MB i1460 + Xircom Credit
Card 10/100...

	Tugrul Galatali