[ltp] Internal/external display use

Markus Alt linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 10 May 2000 15:35:30 +0200

Friedemann Baitinger wrote:

> Assuming you are running xdm, why don't you just configure 2 local
> displays? I had this configured years ago to be able to run 16-bit color
> mode on ctrl-alt-f7 and a 32-bit color mode on ctrl-alt-f8. I have tried
> the same to run a display in 75 dpi mode and another one at the same
> time in 100dpi mode.

In fact, I am running kdm, but this should be straightforward from xdm.
I just wonder if it's possible to toggle between the displays with
Ctrl-Alt-Fn without nay impact on the X server, i.e. the running X apps.
Should be, right?

> If you are running RedHat, just edit: /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers and you'll
> find a line like:
>
> :0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X

It's /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xservers for me on SuSE, but the same line
anyway.

> Change that to something like (add your paramters as you like):
>
> :0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X -dpi 75 vt07
> :1 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X -dpi 100 -bpp 32 vt08
>
> unfortunately I don't recall the details currently how to point to
> different XF86config files.

Will do a little reading in xdm's and X' man pages ... Anyway, thanks
for the hint!

Markus