[ltp] VMware, TR host only networking & kernel 2.2.16 - it works!

Markus Alt linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 07 Nov 2000 23:15:36 +0100

Hi all,

this topic has been discussed on the lists for a few times during the
last months. The problem was when using VMware with NT as guest, Token
Ring host only networking and kernel version 2.2.16, the machine got
stuck shortly after starting the guest OS within VMware. Even worse: It
crashed the bootable NT partition, so you had to restore a backup to get
it to work again.

Now Friedemann Baitinger, who first reported this problem, found a
solution for RedHat 7.0 and I'm posting this message to confirm that it
worked for me also with SuSE 7.0.

It turned out that the Token Ring driver was the culprit. Solely
upgrading VMware to version 2.0.3 didn't help, but after installing the
latest ibmtr_cs-2.2.18 and pcmcia-cs-3.1.21, the problem was gone.

Thanks a lot to Friedemann Baitinger and Burt Silverman for
investigating and solving this issue. Happy me is now able to use
Windoze again! (Won't do this that often - just kidding! ;-) )

Markus