[ltp] Experience from updating RH 6.2 to RH 7.0 on TP 770X

Burt Silverman/Raleigh/IBM linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 16 Nov 2000 00:09:08 -0500

Burt (myself writes):
 >I'm not sure why we are seeing what we are seeing after the
adapter check! I'd have to study it more.

I was referring to Friedemann Baitinger's kernel messages showing the

>Nov 13 08:55:16 blackbox kernel: tr0: Arrg. Transmitter busy.
>Nov 13 08:55:26 blackbox last message repeated 2 times
>Nov 13 08:55:31 blackbox kernel: tr0: Arrg. Transmitter busy.

I had said that messages coming down from an application cause this to
occur if the dev->tbusy flag is set. Then I was myself confused why the
messages were being passed to TR's dev->hard_start_xmit() function.
Generally the messages are not sent down from Linux networking software
when tbusy is set. However, there is a watchdog timer function that behaves
in exactly the opposite fashion: if the device is tbusy, the watchdog timer
initiates a call to dev->hard_start_xmit(), indirectly through a
"qdisc_restart" function. So you expect to see the messages once every five
seconds, the watchdog interval.

If possible I hope to someday fix the Adapter check situation to allow the
adapter to reopen; so it will be even less likely for any of us to get
stuck in an endless Arrg loop during startup.