[ltp] Experience from updating RH 6.2 to RH 7.0 on TP 770X

Burt Silverman linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 21 Nov 2000 08:50:38 -0500

Friedemann Baitinger wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Nov 2000, Burt Silverman/Raleigh/IBM wrote:
>
> > Friedemann, Mike:
> >
> > I found another bug in the TR driver. This one has been around for a
long
> > time and has propagated. This has to do with the Adapter check
interrupt
> > that I promised Friedemann to look at. There is at least one glaring
> error,
> > and one less glaring.
> >
> > 1. The line of code in ibmtr.c (approximately line number 1040)
> >                         check_reason = ntohs(readw(ti->sram_virt +
> ACA_OFFSET + ACA_RW + WWCR_EVEN));
> >
> > should be changed to
> >                         check_reason = ntohs(readw(ti->mmio +
ACA_OFFSET
> + ACA_RW + WWCR_EVEN));
>
> Could this bug be the cause for the "Trasmitter busy"? I haven't applied
> the patch yet but experience with the 2.2.18 driver is that the
> Transmitter busy occurs more frequently than with the previous
> version. In my day by day usage, the old driver barfed with transmitter
> busy about once in 3 months and the new driver did it already 3 times in
> the few days I have it. Still, no doubt, the new driver is much better
> since the machine never hangs in the kernel modules. I can always do a
> safe reboot in order to try to recover from the problem and BTW, my
> Windows buddies are not doing any better anyhow because they power off
> their system anyway at the end of their business day.

Hmmm, this is strange. I've also upgrade to the 2.2.18 ibmtr driver and
pcmcia 3.1.21 as I had the same problem with VMware as Friedemann
reported it. And I also had these "Transmitter busy" messages from time
to time. But since the upgrade, I've *never* had them at all!

These messages used to occur more likely when I connected my machine
from a PCMCIA card in the internal slot on one day and from a card in
the docking station's slot on the other day (although these are
identical cards). I still do this occasionally, but as said I haven't
had any more problems so far ...

A little bit baffled,
Markus