[ltp] Re: New Model Thinkpads??

Alan Shutko linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
10 Oct 2000 10:54:54 -0400

Billy Harvey <Billy.Harvey@thrillseeker.net> writes:

> What problems did you have with XFree 4.0.1 that required using the
> CVS updates?

* Works without using vesafb to init the card

* Works with hibernation (suspend-to-disk)

* Can switch resolutions

Both the 4.0.1 and the current CVS have an annoying problem flickering
white backgrounds if 3d support is enabled, but it's hard-disabled in
the CVS driver till they get things working.

Here's the CVS log for the last major fix:

  593. Add/fix support for the Rage 128 Mobility chips (M3/M4) (Kevin Martin).

 Here's a more complete description:

 Add/fix support for the Rage 128 Mobility chips (M3/M4).  Please note
 the following caveats:

 - This driver relies on being able to read the flat panel mode params
   from the video BIOS.
 - This driver has only been tested on a Dell M3 and an IBM A20p system.
 - HW-accelerated 3D is not yet enabled.
 - Spread spectrum is not yet supported.
 - External CRT display is not yet supported.
 - If the user hits the LCD/CRT hotkey, the results are undefined since
   currently we have no way to trap the hotkey.
 - This driver has not been tested with Linux's FBDev support.
 - This driver has not been tested on Sharp panels.
 - There are known display problems in 24 bpp and 32 bpp modes for the
   following display resolutions: 1024x768, 800x600 and 640x480
 - Starting up the X server when the VGA console is in simultaneous
   LCD/CRT mode might result in the flat panel not being initialized
   properly.
 - Non-standard modes (e.g., 1400x1050) will require an appropriate
   Modeline in the XF86Config file.
 - The "Monitor" section of the XF86Config file need to have appropriate
   horizontal sync and vertical refresh timings for the panel.

> Do you know if anyone is trying to get the dual-headed feature
> working?

Not there yet, but...

    /* Disable CRT output by disabling CRT output and setting the CRT
       DAC to use CRTC2, which we set to 0's.  In the future, we will
       want to use the dual CRTC capabilities of the R128 to allow both
       the flat panel and external CRT to either simultaneously display
       the same image or display two different images. */

> The worst complaint I have is that the OpenGL runs very slowly.

If that's the case, you aren't using hardware support.  (Which
requires, among other things, the r128 kernel module and a kernel with
the DRM: either 2.4 or 2.2 with a backport.  Either 2.2.17 or the
2.2.18pres have it.)

When I played with hardware support, things were quite zippy.  I'm not
using it now, though, because of the aforementioned flickering.

32 days, 44 minutes, 41 seconds till we run away.
WinErr: 01E Timing error - Please wait. And wait. And wait. And wait.