[ltp] 770Z and External Video Projectors

Crispin Cowan linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 11 Oct 2000 16:40:48 -0700

(re-sending because it didn't seem to work before)

I have a ThinkPad 770Z (9549-8AU, 13" 1280x1024 LCD) and an urgent need
to get it to talk to an external video projector.

Currently I'm running Red Hat 6.2 + GNOME (really Immunix OS 6.2, but
that's effectively Red Hat) and it works fine on the internal LCD.
Video has two problems:

   * When ever it suspends, the screen locks up upon resume.  The kernel
     is still ok (e.g. network access still works, and even ALT-CTRL-F#
     gets you a text mode screen) but the X session is shot to hell. The
     screen fills with odd stripes that gradually fade, etc.
   * When I try to switch between internal and external video, it locks
     hard.  The kernel is NOT ok; the machine is really locked up.  This
     goes both wasy:
        o boot with no external monitor, X comes up on the LCD, plug in
          external monitor and press FN-F7, and it locks.
        o boot with an external monitor plugged in, X comes up on the
          tube, press FN-F7, and it locks.

I suspect that these problems are related, in that they both seem to act
like some kind of bad (re)initialization of the video chips.

The specific X version is XFree86-3.3.6-20_StackGuard (which should be
identical in functionality to XFree86-3.3.6-20).

Anyone encounter these kinds of problems?  Anyone know how to get a
Thinkpad 770Z to talk nicely to external video?

Thanks,
    Crispin

--
Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.