[ltp] 770Z and External Video Projectors

Bruce Cowan linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 11 Oct 2000 17:01:16 -0700

It worked. I've got the same problems as you and just haven't bothered
to chase them to fix. I believe if you look in the archives for this
list, you will find some solutions for the suspend problem, although
they may be specific to the stinkpad model.

Bruce Cowan
Attachmate

-----Original Message-----
From: Crispin Cowan [mailto:crispin@wirex.com]
Sent: Wednesday, 11 October 2000 16:41
To: linux-thinkpad@bm-soft.com
Subject: [ltp] 770Z and External Video Projectors

(re-sending because it didn't seem to work before)

I have a ThinkPad 770Z (9549-8AU, 13" 1280x1024 LCD) and an urgent need
to get it to talk to an external video projector.

Currently I'm running Red Hat 6.2 + GNOME (really Immunix OS 6.2, but
that's effectively Red Hat) and it works fine on the internal LCD.
Video has two problems:

   * When ever it suspends, the screen locks up upon resume.  The kernel
     is still ok (e.g. network access still works, and even ALT-CTRL-F#
     gets you a text mode screen) but the X session is shot to hell. The
     screen fills with odd stripes that gradually fade, etc.
   * When I try to switch between internal and external video, it locks
     hard.  The kernel is NOT ok; the machine is really locked up.  This
     goes both wasy:
        o boot with no external monitor, X comes up on the LCD, plug in
          external monitor and press FN-F7, and it locks.
        o boot with an external monitor plugged in, X comes up on the
          tube, press FN-F7, and it locks.

I suspect that these problems are related, in that they both seem to act
like some kind of bad (re)initialization of the video chips.

The specific X version is XFree86-3.3.6-20_StackGuard (which should be
identical in functionality to XFree86-3.3.6-20).

Anyone encounter these kinds of problems?  Anyone know how to get a
Thinkpad 770Z to talk nicely to external video?

Thanks,
    Crispin

--
Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.