[ltp] Fwd: i1460 troubles...

Tugrul Galatali linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sun, 24 Sep 2000 19:48:50 -0400

This is a multi-part MIME message

--_===2454798====brainlink.com===_

hrm, it didn't seem to make it the first time... nor did it bounce an error. Please pardon the resend if it did actually make it.

Tugrul Galatali

 -- the forwarded message follows ---

--_===2454798====brainlink.com===_

From: "Tugrul Galatali" <tugrul@galatali.com>
Subject: i1460 troubles...
To: linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2000 11:52:43 -0400

I'm emailing this list first because I am somewhat worried about the response I might get from IBMs tech support on this one. I had stopped using my i1460 for 2-3 weeks when I was on vacation, and when school started up again, I reinstalled it. First I put on WinME on the first 3GB of the 4.8GB drive, updating to the latest bios in the process. Then I proceeded to put Debian 2.2 on the second partition of 1.8GB. I upgraded the packages to unstable as I normally do, and then I downloaded the source to XFree86 4.0.1 since it has served me well both on this laptop and on my desktop. I started doing a make World and I closed the lid, putting it aside for an hour while it built. It was plugged into AC with a full battery.
When I went back to it after about an hour to check on its progress, the laptop's LCD had that weird psychdelic pattern it does for a moment before XFree86 4.0 launches. It did not respond to any keystrokes, and I couldn't ssh in, so I just held the power button till it turned off. Upon turning it on again, my LCD refuses to power on and it doesn't appear that the system boots at all. If it did, it would boot into linux by default and I could ssh after it completed booting. The lights on my Xircom Realport never go on.
My experience with tech support has been decent so far, but how do I explain this one to the average person there that doesn't seem to know much about Linux? Especially since the machine doesn't boot to Windows by default at the moment, which they made a point of last time.

Also, if anyone has any pointers to how I might try to jolt it back into working... some time ago reinserting the 128MB addon dimm had done a similar trick... no such luck this time.

Tugrul Galatali

--_===2454798====brainlink.com===_--