TP 240 HDD (was: [ltp] Suse 7.1)

Paul Hahn linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 03 Apr 2001 22:26:10 -0700

Ken Firestone wrote:

> [...]
>   time after configuring an Internet connection in Suse 7.1 w/ firewall
>   enabled -- but it could be merely a coincidence that it happened when it
>   did.
>
> Damn, I was hoping for something more before installing Suse 7.1 on my TP240!
>
>   Since getting it back I've not yet booted into Linux, having only used the
>   Windows partition, but when I do I'll probably try again to get the 240's
>   Lucent winmodem working under Linux. Has anyone done this yet? If so, care
>   to share the steps? I tried once before, downloading the necessary zip file,
>   but couldn't get the necessary file -- ltmod51a.exe or something similar,
>   IIRC -- to execute in Linux, which is why I resorted to using my Megahertz
>   PCMCIA modem.
>
> I've had the Lucent winmodem working for some time now, but with
> kernel 2.2.16 as the highest release. I remember getting the file from
> Lucent, and then doing the install by hand following their install
> script.
>
> I load the module by hand when I need it, and occasionally have to
> recopy the module into the modules directory.
>
> Right now, since upgrading to Suse 7.0, the modem dials, but ppp seems
> to be broken.
>

>   >From: Ken Firestone <kenf@clark.net>
>   >To: <linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com>
>   >Subject: Re: TP 240 HDD (was: [ltp] Suse 7.1)
>   >Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 11:04:09 -0500 (EST)
>   >
>   >Hi,
>   >Have you heard anything from IBM about this yet?  I'm wondering now if
>   >it is even safe to update to the 2.18 kernel without recompiling to
>   >remove problem parts?
>   >
>   >Thanks.
>   >
>   >On Tue, 27 Mar 2001, T Dale wrote:
>   >
>   >   My thanks to Chris, who recommended removing the drive before sending in
>   >the
>   >   unit, and to Crispin, who assured me it could and should be done. After
>   >a
>   >   talk with an IBM Serv tech who was very helpful, I learned that removing
>   >the
>   >   drive on the TP 240 is about as straightforward as is removing the
>   >battery.
>   >   And he assured me it's perfectly OK to send it in without the drive.
>   >
>   >   Now I only hope the unit's unexplicable loss of power has nothing to do
>   >with
>   >   either the drive itself or the Linux installation on it.
>   >
>   >
>   >
>   >   _________________________________________________________________
>   >
>   >
>   >   ----- The Linux ThinkPad mailing list -----
>   >   The linux-thinkpad mailing list home page is at:

Hi all, I have a 240 running Red Hat 6.2 and a desktop with a Lucent
winmodem and Suse 7.1. I have been using the winmodem on both for a long
time now. The Lucent modem works fine in 2.4 and in 2.2x. In 2.4 you
just have to be sure that can find the linux kernel header file-- and
that the name matches that specified in the modem's source code when
compiling. Otherwise 2.4 won't use it. Other than that no problems. I
would reccomend to everyone in user land that they stay away from Suse
7.1-- it is too beta. It has royally messed by desktop-- not too mention
production servers at work. I am not brave enough to use it on the
TP240-- I don't want to do a reinstall of Red Hat to remove it if it
hoses the machine. Glad to hear that you got it going on your 240's though.

Paul Hahn