[ltp] Simultaneous External and LCD display on T21

Markus Alt linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 12 Apr 2001 18:14:27 +0200

Friedemann Baitinger wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Apr 2001, Keith Frechette wrote:
>
> > D. Sen wrote:
> > >>
> > I can't seem to be able to have both my LCD and external CRT display on
> > at the same time. Cycling through Fn+F7, I can get one or the other.
> > (This isnt even an X issue, as I have the problem even with just a
> > console display ...i.e right after booting, before entering startx.)
> > <<
> >
> > I know of no problem with this with the Caldera-based preload models. In
> > fact, we used a T21 with Caldera preload to drive Sam Palmisano's
> > LinuxWorld keynote presentation, with the external monitor going to the
> > main LinuxWorld projectors and the LCD allowing us to control the
> > presentation from behind the scenes. Which X server version are you
> using?
> > Also, does Tim Robert's "s3switch" utility properly enable simultaneously
> > display of monitor and LCD?
>
> I am running RedHat 7.0 with manually installed XFree86-4.0.2 plus
> Tim Robert's latest Savage driver and I am experiencing the same problem
> as reported by D. Sen. I have not had an opportunity yet to test the
> s3switch utility though.

Ok, before leaving the office, here's my 2 Pfennig ...

Running SuSE 7.1 on my T21 with XFree86 4.0.3 (RPMs provided by SuSE)
and also Tim Robert's latest driver for the Savage chip
(savage_drv-1.1.15.o). I have the same problem, i.e. never both LCD and
CRT are active.

I've also installed "s3switch" from Tim Robert's page. But this doesn't
help either. If I try to activate both displays by calling "s3switch
both", only CRT becomes active - regardless if LCD or CRT is on when I
issue that command.

Markus