[ltp] * * * WARNING * * * Red Hat 7.1 - seawolf * * * WARNING * * *

Bill Mair linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sat, 21 Apr 2001 02:47:54 +0200

The newly released Red Hat 7.1 trys to install the lm_sensors package by

default !!!

AS A THINKPAD USER, DO NOT EVEN CONTEMPLATE DOING THIS !!!!

Deselect the package, you have to select the "install individual
packages" to do this.

If you have selected KDE to be installed then the installer will
complain about kde_base REQUIRING (!) the lm_sensors package. Just tell
the installer to ignore dependencies during the installation.

I didn't even try installing the lm_sensors to see what happens, my
system is just way too important for me to even consider doing this.

For those of you who are wondering what the heck I'm talking about:

lm_sensors is a neat package allowing sensor information (CPU temp,fan
speed,etc) to be retrieved from the system board. Doing this on an
IBM ThinkPad inevitably leads to either a completely DEAD or not all too

happy main board. This situation has been discussed here numerous times
and IBM is aware of the problem. What they are doing to help
rectify/resolve this situation is AFAIK unknown !

As this problem reared it's ugly head last year, I expressed my fears
that as soon as the 2.4 kernels became main stream that lm_sensors would

also be added as a default component during the installation. And this
indeed appears to have happened.

Tell your friends, tell everyone considering the move/upgrade to RH 7.1
to take the lm_sensors issue into consideration when
installing/upgrading their system.

I am not sure if Mandrake 8.0 also has this issue, but seeing as RH says

that kde_base is dependent on the lm_sensors package I would presume
this to be the case.

Bill