[ltp] * * * WARNING * * * Red Hat 7.1 - seawolf * * * WARNING* * *

Bill Mair linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sat, 21 Apr 2001 21:56:04 +0200

--------------E06E5D8DA7F6164A3D817B91

phil@netroedge.com wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 22, 2001 at 02:23:55AM +0900, Byeong-ryeol Kim wrote:
> >
> > Do the distribution companies dare to provide to setup lm_sensors
> > thing automatically while they don't know hundreds of(or thousands of)
> > the hardwares which millions of users are using.

-- 8< --

> > I agree with you generally, but, while determining the fundamental
> > responsibility of a specific problem, "who is the culprit?" is more
> > important.
>
> Oh boy.  The call for a witch hunt.

No never.

> I'd find it difficult to blame anyone in the matter.  And, if you
> found someone to blame, what would you do?

Ask him to fix it ?

> Keep in mind that 'Lm_sensors' consists of a web site and some code.
> We don't ask that users download and install it, nor that distros
> download it to include in their distros.  We haven't received a $0.01
> from anyone, and we spent thousands of dollars of our own personal
> money on hardware and test equipment as well as 4 years of our time
> developing the project for 'kicks'.  In short: We are CRAZY! :')

Phil,

the work that you guys have done is extremely commendable. I really have
to raise my hat to you and the lm_sensors team.

Maybe we should be looking at a fix for the I2C bus. If another I2C based
application starts scanning the bus on a ThinkPad then we have the same
problem again. I haven't (for obvious reasons) tried playing with any of
the I2C stuff, but do you know if there is/would be a way of blocking
commands for a device/id i.e. the TP serial number chips ?

Ideas ? are there other packages that use I2C that we should be aware of
(and possibly scared of) ?

Bill

P.S. IMHO Vivek 's request for a warning on the lm_sensors' pages would
be a good idea (at least for TP users). Phil, would this be possible ?

--------------E06E5D8DA7F6164A3D817B91

<tt>phil@netroedge.com wrote:</tt>
Kim wrote:</tt>
of)</tt>