[ltp] A20M dhcp

Brandon Walters linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 25 Apr 2001 02:44:09 -0400

Hi,
   I installed Madrake 7.2 on my IBM A20m.  I have the correct driver
(the eepro one) for the Intel PCI NIC and have dhcp selected in the
setup (I followed the documentation).
    I received an error message on startup "cannot find dhcp
client".  I did some fishing around on the internet and found
that Mandrake came with pump.  I tried using this option in the network
setup program, but the problem persisted.  After an exhaustive file
search, I could not find the program 'pump'.  So I downloaded dhcpcd and
installed it according to the instructions. I still get the same error
message on start-up (I switched the settings back to dhcp instead of
pump in linuxconf).
    The instructions say to start dhcpcd manually after startup, to go
to its directory and type the command 'dhcpcd' or 'dhcpcd-eth0.exe'.
Those files exist in the directory when I do an ls.  Now here comes the
embarrassing inane part - no matter how many times I type either command
to start dhcpcd, bash insists that the program doesn't exist (even
though the 'X' permission is set on dhcpcd and dhcpcd-eth0.exe).
    I am a newbie to linux, but I have decent working knowledge of other
Unix OS's like Solaris.  Any suggestions would be helpful.  I saw
somewhere someone talking about Mandrake 8.0 - I suppose that I could
download that and re-install it over my existing linux partition, but
I'd rather see if I there is a better solution that someone can offer (I
got linux so that I wouldn't have to solve every problem by installing a
"new" version of the OS, like for Windows).
    Anyway, any help or points in the right direction would be greatly
appreciated.

-Brandon