[ltp] TP 380ED - PLIP - what irq and io?

Victor Rivarola linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sat, 28 Apr 2001 22:03:03 -0500 (CDT)

I also have a 380ED, and I used to have the same
problem, until I gave up on it and purchased a PCMCIA
network card.  Since I have no HUB though, the PLIP
link will come in handy in a short while though,
because I an thinking of adding a third machine.

The most strange thing is that neither the paralell
nor the serial port do work for any sort of link, but
they both work under DOS with no TSRs loaded (that is,
Norton Commander Link, FX, File Shuttle, and InterLink
they all work).  To make matters worse, printing works
under Linux.  This lead me to think that the pronlem
was not Linux related, so I chose not to write to this
list.

Anyway, you can find information on how Linux sees
your hardware on: /proc/interrupts, /proc/ioports,
/proc/devices, and in general, /proc/*.  Remember, for
a close look at the Linux kernel's insides, always
check the /proc/filesystem.  Also (for checking the
PCI bus, not in this case) the lspci command comes in
handy.  You should also know that if a hardware was
not detected by the kernel, then it will not be there
at all.

Yours in Christ,

Víctor R. Rivarola S.