[ltp] Hi, First Post :-)

Harry Mangalam linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 30 Aug 2001 10:54:13 -0700

Mike Gratton wrote:

> Patrick Draper wrote:
>

> > I didn't take your comment as a flame, but can you tell us why you won't
> > touch Debian? If it's a matter of taste, then I say live and let live.
> > If it's a technical reason, then I can offer my experience: Thinkpad
> > A21m, running Debian. Everything works flawlessly.
> >

> Seconded, twice.

And again, loudly.  Having tried most of the distros from Softlanding on, Debian (tho something of a pain to install) has been the best by far for maintaining a system.  I'm also running Mandrake on a
server as I have to support a RedHat-based system, and even Mandrake's software installer is woefully inferior to the Debian system.  apt-get is especially superior if you have to support software
configuration by wire as I do (volunteer sysadmin for a variety of 'charities').

You might try the Progeny distro which is a commercial potato-based distro.  You can then update from both Progeny's site or the official potato site.

One downside to Debian is that unlike Mandrake, which seems to be the 1st out of the gate in making new SW available to their distros, the Debian system is much slower to update packages other than
security-related ones.  Hence if you want the very latest KDE packages, etc, you'll have to do a lot of building yourself.  The upside to this is that a Deb system tends to be VERY stable.

Running Progeny/Debian potato on a 770x, with everythign working beautifully (sound, video, sleep, PCMCIA (eth and wlan), apmd, etc.

--
Cheers, Harry

Harry J Mangalam -- (949) 856 2847 (v&f) -- mangalam@home.com
         [plain text appreciated, if possible]