[ltp] Redhat 7.0 to 7.2: a bit of history please?

Stephen Gregory linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 4 Dec 2001 19:11:41 -0800 (PST)

I have a comparable machine (570 with 333MHz PII and 128MB) running RH 7.2
and if I let Nautilus get going it is a nightmare. It hogs memory (both in
stand-alone state and when Nautilus-Mozilla fires up). The safest thing is
to delete it from the startup list in Session Properties and save your
session. Unfortunately, if you want to use the Gnome Help System the way
it is intended to be used, Nautilus will still start up and it is really
hard to kill. I actually use Netscape to read the Gnome Help stuff. It is
not integrated into Gnome, so you have to search around for the link you
need, but anything beats letting Nautilus loose on your system. (By the
way, using TOP or whatever to figure out how much of your system resources
Nautilus is using is not easy. Multithreading etc. makes it really
confusing. If it looks like things are going slow, they probably are.)

I guess this is the way Linux is going. (Konqueror in KDE doesn't seem any
better.) It is the all-embracing "cracking wallnuts with sledgehammers"
approach that drove people like me away from Windows. I don't want an
integrated file-manager/browsing/editing/mail/calendar/coffee-making
application. Luckily, unlike Windows, Linux still lets you escape from the
sledgehammers if you need to.

Steve Gregory

On Tue, 4 Dec 2001, Jean-Philippe Jung
(Home) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My 380Z is a P-II 233 with 96 MB Ram. I have close to 1 month experience
> with Linux :)
>
> I tried RedHat 7.2 and I like it (besides I have no sound). I just find
> Gnome terribly slow (e.g. worse than W2K Pro).
> Just tried Redhat 7.0 and I have a very fast and responsive Gnome (as good
> as W98, way more reliable, still no sound :-).
>
> Can someone tell me what changes occured between the two versions of RH that
> made such a drastic change? Is it the Nautilus use?
> And next question is: what do you recommend: stick to RH 7.2 and disable
> Nautilus (and how to do that, if possible), or stick with 7.0 and just
> update kernels, X and Gnome, but retaining the old manager?
>
> Is there any good to go with kernels 2.4 with that processor / memory
> config?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jean-Philippe.

Stephen Gregory