[ltp] Redhat 7.0 to 7.2: a bit of history please?

Jean-Philippe Jung (Home) linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 4 Dec 2001 18:23:15 -0500

Hi,

My 380Z is a P-II 233 with 96 MB Ram. I have close to 1 month experience
with Linux :)

I tried RedHat 7.2 and I like it (besides I have no sound). I just find
Gnome terribly slow (e.g. worse than W2K Pro).
Just tried Redhat 7.0 and I have a very fast and responsive Gnome (as good
as W98, way more reliable, still no sound :-).

Can someone tell me what changes occured between the two versions of RH that
made such a drastic change? Is it the Nautilus use?
And next question is: what do you recommend: stick to RH 7.2 and disable
Nautilus (and how to do that, if possible), or stick with 7.0 and just
update kernels, X and Gnome, but retaining the old manager?

Is there any good to go with kernels 2.4 with that processor / memory
config?

Thanks,

Jean-Philippe.