[ltp] 600E sound problem (CS4232)

Thomas Hood linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
14 Dec 2001 18:04:22 -0500

On Fri, 2001-12-14 at 17:13, Aleksandar B. Samardzic wrote:
> Sound worked fine under Linux using
> following settings to cs4232 kernel module:
>   io = 0x530
>   irq = 5
>   dma = 1
>   dma2 = 0
>   mpuio = 0x330
>   mpuirq = 9
>
> When I try to load cs4232 module using command:
>   /sbin/modprobe cs4232 io=0x530 irq=5 dma=1 dma2=0 mpuio=0x330 mpuirq=9
> following is reported:
> /lib/modules/2.4.16/kernel/drivers/sound/cs4232.o: init_module: No such device

Use lspnp and setpnp to debug this.  For info about these
utilities, see the description in the "Resource configuration
programs" section of the tpctl home page:
    http://tpctl.sourceforge.net/tpctlhome.htm

To use lspnp and setpnp you need to apply this kernel patch:
    http://panopticon.csustan.edu/thood/pnpbios.html
and you need to get the lspnp and setpnp programs.  In Debian
they are distributed in the pcmcia-cs package.  I don't know
about RedHat.  You can compile them from the pcmcia-cs source
tarball too.

(If you don't want to apply the kernel patch, you can compile
the pnpbios driver as a module from the pcmcia-cs sources too.
However, the patch is a newer and less buggy driver.  The
driver will probably go into Linux 2.4 someday soon.)

For more info about configuring sound on tp600:
   http://panopticon.csustan.edu/thood/tp600lnx.htm#secsnd

--
Thomas