[ltp] Problem connecting to ISP with TP600

Bernard DEBREIL linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 26 Dec 2001 00:00:34 GMT

Le 20/12/2001, =E0 19:57:12 h, Tod Harter <tharter@rhombus.net> vous a=20
=E9crit sur le sujet suivant Re: [ltp] Problem connecting to ISP with=20
TP600:

> > > lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
> > >           inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
> > >           UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
> > >           RX packets:13493 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
> > >           TX packets:13493 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0=

> > >           collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
> > >           RX bytes:10459494 (9.9 Mb)  TX bytes:10459494 (9.9 Mb)
> >
> > I get about the same thing, except for the packets size which is onl=
> > 8

> Well, your RX and TX packet counts and bytes will of course vary. The =

'MTU'
> value should probably not be different though, thats the size of the
> "packets" that the interface supports. Since lo is a complete software=

> artifact the value is 16k bytes probably just for maximum efficiency. =

If you
> have an MTU of 8 though I would think that highly unusual and=20
indicative of a
> problem somewhere.

> > > and you should also have an entry like
> > >
> > > 127.0.0.1               localhost.localdomain   localhost
> > >
> > > in /etc/hosts
> >
> > Yes, I did have that line.
> >
> > But, now, I am stuck more than ever, since I can no longer boot my
> > system. While booting, after the line :
> >
> > "bringing up interface lo:   OK
> >
> > it gets stuck on the next line, which says :
> >
> > "bringing up interface ppp3"
> >
> > I can't understand what it is about that new interface... I must hav=
> > done something wrong in the numerous trials that I have carried
> > tonight. I is now too late to go any further ; hopefully I will mana=
ge
> > to watch it to morrow.
> >
> ppp3 eh? hmmm.=20

I solved that one, even though I wasted about one hour twice with=20
this. The first time, upon rebooting with a floppy disk...  well, I=20
was lucky that my reboot disk was on RH 6.1 and kernel 2.2.5-15 so=20
that it passed through the pp3 interface bringing up... then, I=20
checked the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ppp3 file, and found=20
that a line 'ONBOOT' was set to '=3Dyes'. I must have made a mistake=20
during last editing of that file. Once this was changed to 'no',=20
everything went all right as for booting.

A second time, same thing happened... This time, I couldn' figure out=20
what was wrong, since there was no such line as 'ATBOOT=3Dyes'. Indeed, =

that line MUST be there, and set to 'no', otherwise it takes 'yes' as=20
default value for 'ATBOOT'.

>ppp can get used for a variety of purposes. Usually dial-up,
> but some DSL setups also require ppp (and there are many other more=20
arcane
> uses for it). I suppose you could have stumbled into a config dialog=20
in
> whatever program you are using to config your machine and turned=20
something on.

> As a rough guide to how networking is set up on Linux boxes (at least =

in the
> Red-hattish part of the Linux world), there is a script=20
/etc/init.d/network
> that is the master network startup script. That generally brings up=20
your lo
> interface and any other interfaces, like eth0 that can be initialized =

at
> startup. The configuration of your network interfaces is garnered from=
=20
the
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts directory. Each interface has a script =

there,
> which simply sets some environment variables like the IP number,=20
interface
> name, etc. /etc/init.d/network just calls 'ifup $DEVICE' for each one =

that is
> marked with 'ONBOOT=3Dyes' at startup. You can call ifup and ifdown=20
yourself
> with an interface name to accomplish the same thing. So you can no=20
doubt get
> rid of the rogue 'ppp3' by deleting
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ppp3. However generally ppp=20
interfaces
> get started by /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup-ppp which works
> differently. It is in fact way complicated... I don't even pretend to =

fully