[ltp] suspend-resume problem (A20p)

Tod Harter linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 27 Dec 2001 12:39:29 -0500

> And mdk patch their kernel, so they
> may well have apm-magic patches as well as their psaux-killer patch.

Yep, I've never tried to find out all the patches they put in but I guess
there are a number of them. You could also definitely poke around in your
BIOS settings, there may be interactions between kernel and bios settings
(not to mention bios versions...) I know my bios is flashed up to the most
recent version that was out for the A20p as of 4 or 5 months ago.

> It's definitely made worse by X - if I hibernate from X, it locks up
> immediately after restoring the display. If I C-M-F1 to the console and
> hibernate from there, it comes back Ok, but locks up hard the next time I
> enter (or sometimes the next time I leave and enter) X. However, if I leave
> it for long enough, it locks anyway, regardless of X.

XFree and its video drivers are infamously unfriendly to hibernation... I
guess others would have to comment as to if they have ever gotten a hibernate
from X to work. I've been told several times its just not possible.

> Yeah, I'll have a look, thanks.... I think I'll convert my filesystems over
> to ext3 so I don't have to sit through such a bloody tedious fsck when
> analysing problems like this...

Journaling FS is great ;o). I'm partial to ReiserFS myself, but that may be a
result of having a background in database integration. For database use ext3
can't touch ReiserFS, nor if you have really large filesystems with millions
of small files, but I guess ext3 is a little quicker in other applications.
Anyway I suspect the differences are trivial. The benefits are great though.