[ltp] Partition Editor (WAS: HELP..Installing RedHad 7.2 on a Thinkpad 600E)

Cameron Hooper linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 27 Dec 2001 21:40:25 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 27 Dec 2001, Chris Merrill wrote:

> Andrew Crawford said:
> > There is an opensource utility called GNU Parted (for "Partition
> > Editor.")  The user interface isn't particularly user friendly and there
> > are fewer safeguards than Partition Magic to keep you from screwing up your
> > system.  However, it does work.
> >
> >     http://www.gnu.org/software/parted/
>
> I also recommend parted....I was mostly using PQMagic for this
> task.  parted doesn't have a pretty GUI (text mode), but I found it
> almost as easy to use.  They also have a nice little Linux boot
> disk with parted and a few basic tools on it...very handy.
> (it's available on the same website).

I used parted to prepare for my install of redhat 7.2. Very good tool, but
be aware that its support for ext3 is not yet complete. It was able to
resize an existing ext3 partition (an undocumented feature I think) but it
was not able to create one. Better at least than Partition Magic which
didn't understand ext3 partitions at all. Showed them as full and so would
not allow me to resize them.

Cameron