[ltp] TP does not identify 14.1GB HDD

Paul Barrett linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 6 Feb 2001 09:46:22 -0500 (EST)

Mark Hughes writes:
 > Paul Barrett wrote:
 > >
 > > I'm interested to see if anyone has had a similar problem to this:
 > >
 > > I recently sent in my TP770 with a 4.0GB HDD to be serviced.  They
 > > replaced the display, because the backlight died, and also upgraded
 > > the BIOS to the latest version, IDET37WW.  When the TP was returned, I
 > > booted Win95 and Linux off the 4.0GB HDD without problems.  I thought
 > > all was well until a few days later, when I tried to boot the 14.1GB
 > > HDD.  It would not boot.  The BIOS test returned an error message
 > > indicating it could not identify the HDD.   I therefore suspect the
 > > latest version of the TP770 BIOS to be the problem.  Anyone else
 > > experience a similar problem?
 > >

 > Yep, on my 770Z I had to put the hard drive geometry as lilo parameters
 >
 > append="hda=1826,240,63" on my 770Z

I am aware of this problem (of Linux not getting the correct disk
geometry) and this is not it.  My problem is that the BIOS can not
even identify the HDD.  It just goes "click, click, click..." for a
few minutes and then gives up, sending me into the TP BIOS Setup menu.
A BIOS test marks the HDD-1 icon with a big red X and prints Dev 017,
...  A Web search indicates the HDD has failed which is really
annoying since I haven't used it in several months.

--
Dr. Paul Barrett       Space Telescope Science Institute
Phone: 410-338-4475    ESS/Science Software Group