[ltp] hw configuration issues_ˇPS2.EXE,_adiós!

Thomas Hood linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sat, 24 Feb 2001 21:51:52 +0000 (GMT)

--- Thomas Hood <jdthood2@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Answer to self: RTFM (in this case the Plug-n-Play HOWTO).

It seems that the way that PS2.EXE does configuration
of devices is by calling the PnP BIOS.  Now that we have
the tools to call the PnP BIOS ourselves, we don't need
PS2.EXE any more, and hence, ˇPS2.EXE,_adiós!

Now for a rhetorical question.  Why doesn't the isa-pnp
driver have a mode of operation wherein it uses the PnP
BIOS to do its work?  Then there would be just one
interface that drivers would have have to use: they would
all talk to isa-pnp, which could be configured to do PnP
configuration itself, or could be configured to let the
PnP BIOS do its dirty work and report back the results.
I think I'll investigate this question a bit more and
perhaps I'll ask it on linux-kernel.

Thomas