[ltp] Some IR progress

Tom Grydeland linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 26 Feb 2001 07:28:23 +0100 (MET)

I've had some progress with IR over the weekend:

Using setpnp -b as described in my previous mail, I've been able to
activate my IR device, at least to the point where irdadump reports some
traffic on the link (the discovery frames from the laptop, I believe)
and the Palm displays the "Waiting for sender" dialog box.

I have not been able to transfer anything between the laptop and the
palm, though.

I have another question on the serial devices:

Is the mapping
    [physical device] <-> /dev/ttySx
1) hardwired somewhere, or
2) is it determined by whatever COMx settings I choose for the
   [physical device], or
3) the [physical device] appears as the device node which has matching
   ioport/irq settings?

For 1), the DB9 serial port would always be /dev/ttyS0, and it would be
my responsibility to set the ioport/irq with setpnp to match what
setserial is told.  This is how I've worked so far.

For 2), whatever [physical device] is given COM1 settings appears as
/dev/ttyS0, and I would need to adjust my expectations of what device to
find where accordingly

For 3), I would be free to assign any [physical device] to any
/dev/ttySx device node, but finding out which device is where could be
tricky.

--
//Tom Grydeland <Tom.Grydeland@phys.uit.no>