[ltp] ALSA support for FM sequencer

Thomas Hood linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 26 Feb 2001 21:39:15 -0500

FYI, regarding ALSA support for FM sequencer:

I recently asked about this on the alsa-devel mailing list
and I received the following useful reply from Uros Bizjak.
scheduled to come out in a few months.    // Thomas

On Sun, 25 Feb 2001, Thomas Hood wrote:
> Are there any plans to support the OPL3 FM synthesizer
> on the cs4236 chip?

Generic OPL3 MIDI is supported in 0.9beta1.

> When I look at the modules that are compiled and
> loaded to support snd-card-cs4236, it looks as if
> the synthesizer is already supported [...]
> At least that's what I'd expect from the presence of a
> module called "snd-opl3".

[You need the] snd-synth-opl3.o module.

snd-opl3.o is not used for MIDI functionality, only for
direct-FM synth.

> Yet when I try to use the synthesizer (using playmidi or pmidi)
> I get:
>
> > jdthood@thanatos:~/tmp$ playmidi jsbbrc13.mid
> > Playmidi 2.3 Copyright (C) 1994-1996 Nathan I. Laredo
> > This is free software with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
> > For details please see the file COPYING.
> > open /dev/sequencer: No such device

playmidi should work out-of-the-box, and to use pmidi, you'll have to
load FM instrument paches first (by using sbiload application). It
worked for me a couple of weeks ago.

Unfortunatelly, there is something broken in sequencer subsystem and
neither playmidi, nor pmidi work with current CVS sources.

Uros.