[ltp] DMA transfers on TP 765L

Tino Keitel linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 27 Feb 2001 12:14:03 +0100

Hi folks,

can anyone tell me how to enable DMA transfers for my IDE-HD? Win95 is able
to do this with the standard bus master driver, so the IDE interface and the
hard disk both support DMA transfers. Here are the messages when the kernel
detects the IDE interface:

PIIX: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 08
PIIX: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
PIIX: neither IDE port enabled (BIOS)
hda: IBM-DPLA-25120, ATA DISK drive
hdb: SANYO CRD-S54P, ATAPI CDROM drive
ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
hda: IBM-DPLA-25120, 4887MB w/468kB Cache, CHS=662/240/63

AFAIK I can only turn on DMA transfers using hdparm if the kernel reports
"ide0: BM-DMA at...". I looked into the kernel sources and it seems that DMA
isn't possible because of the line "neither IDE port enabled (BIOS)". How can
I enable the IDE port? Or am I completely wrong?

Tino