[ltp] Re: Suspending with AC & PC Cards

Keith Frechette linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 2 Jan 2001 16:49:48 -0500

--=_alternative 0077FB19852569C8_=

> Maybe David Hinds might know?  If it's pcmcia controller setup, it
> might be fixable there.  Or Keith Frechette might be able to tell us
> what the BIOS is looking for in this case.  Hopefully he's watching
> this thread (if not, maybe we'll bug him).

Huh? OK, I'm awake now. So what's the deal? Suspend doesn't work while on
AC with a PC Card in use? I vaguely remember similar behaviors on NT 4,
because the OS doesn't "stop" the card before putting the system to sleep
(on Windows 9x/2000, the OS activately participates in a suspend, stopping
the devices as needed before the suspend). Also, there is a BIOS option
(perhaps controlled via PS2) that prevents the system from
timer-suspending when running on AC (or in a dock) -- however, I wouldn't
think that would affect user-initiate suspends (ie. Fn-F4).

So, what were the exact conditions that cause the failure (inability to
suspend)? Also, what combinations do result in a proper suspend (e.g.,
does Fn-F4 suspend, but closing the lid does not)?

-- Keith

Keith Frechette
Linux Development Lead, Mobile Computing Options and Software Development
IBM Research Triangle Park, North Carolina
kfrechet@us.ibm.com / 919-543-3761 / TieLine:441-3761

--=_alternative 0077FB19852569C8_=

&gt; might be fixable there. &nbsp;Or Keith Frechette might be able to tell us<br>
&gt; what the BIOS is looking for in this case. &nbsp;Hopefully he's watching<br>
Keith Frechette<br>
Linux Development Lead, Mobile Computing Options and Software Development<br>
IBM Research Triangle Park, North Carolina<br>
kfrechet@us.ibm.com / 919-543-3761 / TieLine:441-3761<br>
--=_alternative 0077FB19852569C8_=--