[ltp] Thinkpad X20 dual-boot problems

Ben O'Loghlin linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 08 Jan 2001 16:10:42 +1100

I am trying to configure my X20 as a dual-boot. I am starting with a
Windows 98 configuration that works (as well as Windows ever does),
containing apps which I need for a job, and I want to set it up as a
dual-boot with Linux (Suse or RH).

Problem is, when I install LILO, Redhat runs fine but if I select DOS at
the LILO prompt it won't boot. I thought well OK, the Windows 98 boot
loader was probably in the MBR and got aced by LILO, so I did a sys c:
which made no difference.

Then I thought, maybe I can install the Win98 boot loader and install
LILO on the D: partition, and just boot to Windows. The problem with
this is, the the version of Win98 I have is a complete IBM Win98
all-in-one recovery CD, and it doesn't seem to install a boot loader
which gives me options of which OS to boot.

My last ditch plan is to install RedHat, then install Win98 from a
borrowed CD, and manually reinstall all the drivers and apps. I would
like to avoid this as I have already put quite a bit of work into the
Winsows configuration, but if it comes down to that I can do it.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about and have some suggestions?

Ben